In the spring of 1957, Wolseley again entered a sector of the market where they had been absent since the war. In April of that year, they introduced a "luxury compact," which would become the best-selling model ever.
Initially, the new car would have a 1.2-litre version of the 'B' series engine, and 110 cars were produced exclusively for the Irish market. However, it was soon realized that this chassis could easily handle more power and was now equipped with the 1498cc engine. A single SU carburetor was supplied, and with a low compression ratio, only 43 hp at 4,200 rpm was originally produced, although later modifications increased this to 50 and 52 hp by the end of the model's running time.
The car had a neat and pleasant style; seating for four people, attractive walnut veneer finish, good luggage space and excellent pace and performance for the time, and it sold very well. Apart from a larger tyre size, no noticeable changes were made until the introduction of the Mark II in the spring of 1960. However, these changes were mainly cosmetic, with hidden hinges of the trunk and bonnet and with the chrome strip being modified.
A more notable change came with the arrival of the Mk III in 1961 when a new grille was introduced; the suspension was lowered; there was a new, more luxurious upholstery and revised colour schemes and new taillight units.