After the first order, the advantages of the Ford Pygmy and Bantam GPV prototypes were integrated into the Willys MA jeep. The vehicle gained a floor acceleration and became slightly lighter. This became the Willys MB. On July 23, 1941, the U.S. Army ordered the production of the Willys MB. The vehicles would be delivered at a unit price of $ 738.74.
In October 1941 it became clear that Willys-Overland could not supply enough vehicles. Ford also took the vehicle into production. It was given the name GPW here, with the W indicating that the vehicle was built under license from Willys. During World War II, some 363,000 Willys MB were produced and 280,000 Ford GPWs.
The Willys MB was praised among the military for its low cost and large power. The vehicle was used around the world during and well after World War II.