Restored in 2004.
(from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) The Morgan Motor Company is a British motor car manufacturer. The company was founded in 1910 by Harry Frederick Stanley Morgan, generally known as "HFS" and was run by him until he died, aged 77, in 1959. Peter Morgan, son of H.F.S., ran the company until a few years before his death in 2003. The company is currently run by Charles Morgan, the son of Peter Morgan.
Morgan is based in Malvern Link, an area of Malvern, Worcestershire and employs 163 people. Morgan produced 640 cars in 2007. All the cars are assembled by hand. The waiting list for a car is approximately one to two years, although it has been as high as ten years in the past.
The visitor centre and museum feature a guided tour of the factory and exhibits about the company's history from Edwardian times until the present day, developments in automobile technology, and a display of automobiles.
Morgan 4/4 was the Morgan Motor Company's first car with four wheels. It appeared in 1936. Its model designation "4-4" (later "4/4") stood for four wheels and four cylinders. Earlier Morgans had been three-wheelers, only, typically with V-twin engines. Apart from a break during World War II (and the period March 1951 to September 1955) the 4/4 has been in continuous production from its debut right up to the present day. Engine capacity has increased from the 1122cc Coventry Climax engine in 1936 to a 1.8 litre Ford engine in 2004.
Specifications. Body : length/width/height/wheelbase – cm (in) : 366/142/132/244 (144/56/52/96); weight : 660 kg (1455 lb).
Engine : inline 4 cylinders, 1597 cc (Ford XRI 3) front-mounted, manual 5-speed gearbox, rear-wheel drive. Maximum power : 105 bhp 6000 rpm. Top speed : 190 km/h (117 mph).