The Aurelia used the first V6 engine, developed by Francesco de Virgilio who was, between 1943 and 1948 a Lancia engineer, and who worked under Jano. During production, capacity grew from 1.8 L to 2.5 L. Prototype engines used a bore and stroke of 68 mm x 72 mm for 1569 cc; these were tested between 1946 and 1948,. The very first Aurelias were the 10 berlinas (sedans) which used a 1754 cc version of the V6 which produced 56 hp (42 kW). The B20 was released in 1951 with a larger 1991 cc 70 hp (52 kW) engine. A 2-door B20 GT coupé appeared that same year. It had a shorter wheelbase and wad designed by Ghia with a Pininfarina built-body. The same 1991 cc engine produced 75 hp (56 kW) in the B20. In all, 500 first series Aurelias were produced. In 1954 a new engine was introduced with a capacity of 2451 cc.The story of the Aurelia lasted until 1958.