The Mercedes-Benz W187 was produced from 1951 to 1955. Introduced at the Frankfurt Motor Show in April 1951 it was powered by a inline six-cylinder engine and available as a saloon, coupé and cabriolet, all designated with the 220 model name.
Despite its pre-WW II reputation as a manufacturer of luxury cars, in the immediate post-war years Mercedes produced only 4-cylinder-engined passenger cars. The W187 Mercedes-Benz 220 and flagship W186 Mercedes-Benz 300 Adenauer introduced together in 1951 were the first Mercedes to once again feature 6-cylinder engine.
The saloon went out of production in May, 1954; the Cabriolet models continued for another 15 months until August 1955.