The last and ultimate version of the legendary Jaguar XK range was the XK150 3,8 Litre. This model had the bigger 3,8 Litre straight six engine, which produced more power and torque then the previous 3,4 Litre unit. These engines were only used in the last production year of the XK150, which makes it quite a rare car.
This example was restored some years ago, and is still in impeccable condition. It is a full matching nrs car, finished in its original colour combination of British Racing Green with Suede Green hide interior. New Blockley radial tyres.on the wire wheels which are powder coated in the same British Racing Green as the body give this XK150 a stunning look. The engine sound is fantastic, and the power and torque from the 3,8 litre block are simply impressive. The gearbox is the original 4-speed Moss box, with electrical overdrive. It shifts smoothly, just like a good Moss gearbox should do. The interior is completely retrimmed following original specification. This is a well restored but still original car, in one of the most desirable colour combinations.
Ready for daily use, and a very sound investment. If you are in the market for one of these desirable Jaguar sportscars, a testdrive with this excellent example is strongly advised.
General info: The Jaguar XK150 is a sports car produced by Jaguar between 1957 and 1961. It replaced the XK140.
Initially it was available in Fixed Head Coupé (FHC) and Drophead Coupé (DHC) versions. The Roadster (XK150 OTS - Open Two-Seat) was launched in 1958. Minimal rear seats were fitted in the coupés.
Although bearing a family resemblance to the XK120 and XK140, the XK150 was radically revised. A one-piece windscreen replaced the split screen, and the wing line no longer dropped so deeply at the doors. The widened bonnet opened down to the wings, and on the Roadster the bulkhead was moved back 4 inches (102 mm) to make the bonnet longer. The car was available at various times in Red, Pearl Grey, White, Indigo Blue, Claret, Cotswold Blue, Black, Mist Grey, Sherwood Green, Carmen Red, British Racing Green, Cornish Grey, and Imperial Maroon.
The XK140's walnut dashboard was replaced by one trimmed in leather. On the early Drophead Coupés, the aluminium centre dash panel, which was discontinued after June 1958, had an X pattern engraving similar to the early 3.8 E-type. Thinner doors gave more interior space. On the front parking lights, which were located atop the wings (fenders), a little red light reminded the driver the lights were on.
Suspension and chassis were very similar to the XK140, and steering was by rack and pinion; power steering was not offered. The standard engine, the same as fitted to the XK140, was the 3.4 litre DOHC Jaguar straight-6 rated at 180 SAE bhp at 5750 rpm but most cars were fitted with the SE engine whose modified cylinder head and larger exhaust valves boosted the power to 210 SAE bhp at 5500 rpm. Twin 1.75-inch (44 mm) SU HD6 carburettors were fitted.
While the first XK150s were slower than their predecessors, the deficit was corrected in the spring of 1958 with a 3.4-litre "S" engine whose three 2-inch (51 mm) SU HD8 carburettors and straight-ported cylinder head increased power to a claimed 250 SAE bhp.
For 1960, the 3.4 litre engine was bored to 3.8 litres, rating this option at 220 hp (164 kW; 223 PS) in standard tune or 265 hp (198 kW; 269 PS) in "S" form. A 3.8 litre 150S could top 135 mph (217 km/h) and go from 0–60 mph in around 7.0 seconds. Fuel economy was 18mpg. Four-wheel Dunlop 12 in (305 mm) disc brakes appeared for the first time although it was theoretically possible to order a car with drums. Either wire wheels or disc wheels could be specified.
Production ended in October 1960, and totaled 2265 Roadsters, 4445 Fixed Head Coupés and 2672 Drophead Coupés
Length – cm (in): 447 (176)
Width –cm (in): 164 (64.6)
Height – cm (in) : 136 (53.7)
Wheelbase – cm (in) : 259 (102)
Weight – kg (lb): 1430 (3156)
XK 150 3.8 SE 1959–1960
87 mm x 106 mm
Double SU HD6 220 bhp (164 kW; 223 PS) @ 5500 rpm