(from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) The Rover P4 series was a group of saloon automobiles produced by the Rover Company from 1949 through to 1964 designed by Gordon Bashford. The P4 designation is factory terminology for the group of cars and was not in day-to-day use by ordinary owners, who would have used the appropriate consumer designations for their models (such as 60, 75, and 90).
The P4 was also the basis of the short lived Marauder car.
The original P4, the model 75, arrived in 1949. It featured controversial modern styling which contrasted with the outdated Rover P3 which it replaced, and which was heavily based on the bullet-nosed Studebakers of the same era. The turning circle was 37 feet (11 m) . One particularly unusual feature was the centrally mounted headlight in the grille. Known as the "Cyclops eye", it was removed after 1952.
Power came from a 2.1 L (2103 cc/128 in³) Rover IOE straight-6 engine. A four-speed manual transmission was used with a column-mounted shifter at first and floor-mounted unit from 1954.
A car tested by The Motor magazine in 1949 had a top speed of 83.5 mph (134.4 km/h) and could accelerate from 0–60 mph (97 km/h) in 21.6 seconds. A fuel consumption of 27.8 miles per imperial gallon (10.2 L/100 km; 23.1 mpg-US) was recorded. The test car cost £1106 including taxes.
Production of this original model ended in 1954 with 33,267 sold.
Length : cm (in): 453 (178.3)
Width : cm (in): 167 (65.7)
Height : cm (in): 162 (63.8)
Wheelbase : cm (in) 282 (111)
Weight: kg (lb) : 1450 (3200)
Displacement : straight-six 2627 cc (160 ci)
Valve gear :12
Fuel system : 1 SU carburettor
Gearbox : 4 manual
Drive wheels : rear-wheel drive
Maximum power : 108 hp at 4250 rpm
Maximum torque : 168 Nm at 2500 rpm
Maximum speed : 145 km/h (90 mph)